If you’re looking for a delicious way to get your vegetables in for the day, try mixing up some collard greens. This southern soul food simmered up with smoked meat and hot pepper sauce makes just the right side dish to a home-cooked meal.
If you’re not a fan of salad, then this flavorful alternative is something sure to please your palette! For an authentic flavor, we mixed up our savory collard greens in Staub’s La Cocotte “French Oven.”
- 1/2 pound smoked meat (ham hocks, smoked turkey wings or smoked neck bones)
- 1 tablespoon House seasoning, recipe follows
- 1 tablespoon seasoned salt
- 1 tablespoon hot red pepper sauce
- 1 large bunch collard greens
- 1 tablespoon butter
- 1 cup salt
- 1/4 cup black pepper
- 1/4 cup garlic powder
1. In a large pot, bring 3 quarts of water to a boil and add smoked meat, house seasoning, seasoned salt and hot sauce. Reduce heat to medium and cook for 1 hour.
2. Thoroughly wash the collard greens. Remove the stems and slice into 1/2 to 1-inch thick slices. Cook for 45 – 60 minutes stirring occasionally.
3. Serve and enjoy!